ABS-CBN has been long caught for favoring the Liberal Party in almost every aspect, from news to ads. But this time, supporters and non-supporters alike of Rodrigo Duterte are seething with anger after news broke out of a PHP 20million ad campaign against leading presidential candidate Rodrigo Duterte to be played all day Friday, May 6, and after seeing it on TV the night of Thursday.
How did it begin?
A Facebook post began circulating a warning that a certain TV station will bombard non-stop anti-Duterte advertisements, allegedly until election day. This TV station was no surprise to everyone. It was ABS-CBN.
One of the first warnings came from Philippine Star columnist and blogger Ms. Cecile Zamora-Van Straten, who tweeted that based on inside information, 20 million pesos worth of Anti-Duterte ads will be aired all night Friday on ABS-CBN and that another station rejected as such.
Despite fair warnings that the anti-Duterte TV ads placed by Trillanes may violate the senses of the Filipino people, the ethics committee of ABS-CBN still proceeded to approve and air it. It was disapproved during the second screening but it was alleged that it was manipulated to overturn its earlier decision.
Sen. Alan Peter Cayetano also warned the public regarding the possible airing of the ads in question.
“The mayor’s rivals are obviously afraid, and so they are resorting to these cheap stunts to try and bring his image down,” the senator said.
“They are so desperate that, aside from the full barrage of trimedia attacks against Mayor Duterte, they are now trying to push for millions in advertisements in major networks in the last few days of the campaign,” he added.
Unconfirmed reports also say that GMA and other stations relented to the offer as well, and started playing the anti-Duterte advertisments.
Sinasabing anti-Duterte Ad, inilabas naNaka-upload na sa Youtube at kumakalat na sa social media ang 30 segundong anti-Duterte ad. Pero matinding debate ngayon kung dapat bang gumamit ng bata sa ad. Makibalita. For more videos, visit us at www.news5.com.ph
Posted by News5 on Thursday, May 5, 2016
In their defense, ABS-CBN said it had nothing to do with the production of the political ad, and that it was “duty bound to air a legitimate ad.”
“The controversial political advertisement being talked about in social media, which aired on ABS-CBN, was produced and paid for by Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV. Prior to the airing, ABS-CBN’s ethics committee reviewed the content of the material, which complies with the requirements of pertinent election laws,” the company said.
ABS-CBN pointed out that Commission on Elections’ (COMELEC) guidelines prohibit radio and television stations from discriminating against any candidate or political party in the sale of air time.
“By airing the said commercial, ABS-CBN is being consistent with COMELEC guidelines, which prohibit radio or television stations to discriminate in the sale of air time against any political party or candidate. We are duty bound to air a legitimate ad.”
However, there seems to be a problem with that, if the laws are to be consulted.
Broadcasting Code Article 8 Section 2 (From R.A. 9006 or Fair Election Act)
No program or sponsor shall be allowed to manifestly favor or oppose an candidate or political party…
Because of the presence of children, R.A. 7610, An Act Providing For Stronger Deterrence and Special Protection Against Child Abuse, Exploitation & Discrimination or Other Purposes SHOULD BE IMPLEMENTED.
Others blasted the protest for keeping a blind eye when Duterte did such a thing, an obvious sidetracking of the issue at hand where mindless children were used to further the agenda of Antonio Trillanes IV and obviously, the Liberal Party.
This also puts one question in mind; if Trillanes is funding the ads, where is he getting the money?
WHAT CAN THE FILIPINO DO?
PLENTY! There are plenty of ways to hurt the TV station and punish them for their distasteful move. This has been reported to have been done (in its era equivalents) in the past during the Martial Law years.
1. Cut all subscription from their services. Throw out your ABS-CBN Mobile simcards, and throw out their ISDB-T black boxes.
2. Stop watching their TV shows. Switch to TV-5 or CNN Philippines for better and balanced news. If you have cable, avoid DZMM Teleradyo AT ALL COSTS.
3. Do not attend their It’s Showtime TV show anymore and other similar shows.
4. UNLIKE AND BLOCK all pages by ABS-CBN in Facebook. Or alternatively, voice your protest in all content they publish. It’s ignorable by a handful, but ALARMING BY THE NUMBERS.
5. File complaints at their Bantay Bata 163 office about the ads. If they turn you away about this, get it on video and share it!
6. Share anti-ABS-CBN memes, pictures, information and figures in all social media outlets.
7. Crafty hackers can go attack their websites again, either by exploits or the classic DDOS attacks. (we do not recommend this however, and mostly blackhat hackers do this)
8. Massive complaints to the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster ng Pilipinas.
9. Do not buy from their online shop, and cancel orders if you’ve done so.
10. Flood the social media with more favorable videos, particularly about Rodrigo Duterte.
11. Join organized pickets against ABS-CBN.
12. Make stickers and flyers about their infamy.
13. Make demands to companies to stop placing ads on ABS-CBN or face boycott.
ABS-CBN will not reel until they feel the effects. Do not stay silent, make yourself and your displeasure about this mockery known!
Do not expect Gabriela or Commission on Human Rights to rally against this issue. Gabriela is highly selective on which woman they’ll defend, and the CHR has been caught several times pants down. We doubt MTRCB would raise hell either.