First there was 7-Eleven. Then Ministop. Then Family Mart.

And now, brought in by Puregold, is Lawson, another convenience store brand from Japan.

They had their soft opening last March 30, 2015 at their first branch in Sta. Ana, Manila.

Lawson offers products that cannot be found in other stores, such as various bread and pastries made in collaboration with Breadtalk and Gonuts Donuts, bamboo charcoal ice cream and rice-all-you-can bento boxes.

There are planned 50 stores to be opened initially.

Over the long term, Lawson is targeting to roll out 500 convenience stores across the country by 2020.

“Under the partnership, Lawson will provide its expertise in convenient stores know-how and product development, while Puregold will provide its expertise in product procurement and localized knowledge of the retail consumers,” publicly-listed Puregold said.

Under an agreement signed in June last year, Puregold and Lawson would jointly build and operate the Lawson convenience stores in the country wherein the former would invest 70 percent in the joint venture, while the latter would own the remaining 30 percent.

(photo by primer.com.ph)